Sunday, April 10, 2011

Reading, Listening, Watching

Reading
When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lonbardi. (David Maraniss). I finished this a while ago, but I felt like putting it down anyway. It was really good. I knew the myth of Lombardi, but I didn't know the nitty-gritty details.

Fly Away Home (Jennifer Weiner). Don't judge me. She's generally considered chick lit, but after Reading Good in Bed all those years ago, I've read everything she's done. I will usually read one of her books in less than a day, but that's what I like about them. The writing is good, the characters are well-defined, and it's something I can read without thinking about it. Some may see that as an insult, but I love reading without thinking. I read this over break while I was sick. I was already reading Fall of the House of Zeus, but I wanted something that I could put down and pick back up again without having to go back and refresh my memory.

Fall of the House of Zeus: The Rise and Fall of America's Most Powerful Trial Lawyer (Curtis Wilke). The rise and fall of Dickie Scruggs, a Mississippi lawyer super star. This had better be made into a movie. I've been reading this for a while now, I need time to really devote to this title. Holy crap, it's good. The truth really is stranger than fiction, especially since I remember the events portrayed in this book. I remember reading about the raid on Scruggs' office in the local paper, I know some of the people mentioned. I also found out a student in one of my classes was Scruggs' cousin. And I learned a lot about Mississippi politics. Even if you know nothing about the life and times of Dickie Scruggs, read this book. It is that good.

Listening
Here's to Taking it Easy, Phosphorescent. I have a copy of his Willie Nelson tribute, To Willie. I love that album so much if it were vinyl, it would be worn out by now. When I found out Phosphorescent was going to be in town this month, I checked out his most recent album. I like. I wasn't sure during the first few songs of the album, but I warmed up to it, definitely.

Blood Pressures, The Kills. I've been listening to the stream and I liked it, and I still like it now that I own it. Not much else to say that I haven't already said.

Raven in the Green, The Raveonettes. I love this album. Love it. I have been listening to it non-stop. I first heard The Raveonettes back in 2003... on NPR while I was at work. I immediately went down to my local record store and bought what was their second album, The Chain Gang of Love.When I bought it, the record store clerk said he had liked their first album, but this was better. Their first album was one note played over and over. Luckily, he said, it was a good note. I liked this album and the comparisons to Jesus and the Mary Chain are well deserved. Now, eight years later, I bought their newest one, and ommygoditissofuckinggood. I can't stop listening to it. The Wall of Sound is still there but not as prominent, and the songs sound a little more complete. Go buy this. Right now.

Watching
American Idol. I'm having a hard time caring. I can't even remember their names.

America's Next Top Model. I'm having a harder time giving a shit about these girls than the kids on American Idol.

Top Chef Masters. AWEsome. Love the Top Chef franchise. Love

The Killing (AMC). I saw the two-hour debut this past Sunday. It has been compared to Twin Peaks, mainly due to location and the fact that a teen is found dead. Just watch it... it's that good.

Community. Still the best and smartest half-hour show on television.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I keep meaning to watch The Killing, but consistently forget when it's on. Maybe at this point, I should just wait for the inevitable DVD release? haha

Have you picked up Tina Fey's book yet? I thought of you when I was reading it -- I think you'd get a kick out of it. Goes down fast & funny, too -- one of those you can start on a Friday and finish by Sunday.

Yankee Librarian said...

I think you can watch The Killing online. I've read some criticism, mainly that the episodes have the same MO: end of previous episode reveals shocking clue, beginning of next episode debunks it.

I don't care. If a show is done well, that doesn't matter. I am still compelled by the characters, the look and feel, and everything else, to get knit-picky about shit like that.

I have Tina Fey's book. I ordered it from Amazon and it is still in it's packaging. I know if I open it up I will begin to read it and then I will stay up all night to finish it. I am heading to the spa Friday afternoon. I have some downtime between my 90-minute massage (yes, 90 minutes) and manicure-pedicure, so I am going to relax and read Tina Fey's book. I *heart* her.