Thursday, January 26, 2012

Jelly Veggies

I love Jelly Belly jelly beans. Love. When I was in high school they opened a Jelly Belly kiosk at the local mall, and it was pretty much the most exotic thing any of us had ever seen. Jelly beans that tasted like sour apple and very cherry and strawberry daiquiri and marshmallow and all kinds of other flavors.

When I lived in Ye Olde College Town, friends and I would have lunch on Friday. When we lunched in the little downtown area, we would often make a trip to the local candy store... where they had a wall of Jelly Belly jelly beans to choose from. I would mix and match the fruity and sour Jelly Belly flavors with the intention of sharing them with my colleagues and then just eating a few. I did share them but I would usually eat the whole damn bag by the end of the day.

A colleague went to ALA Midwinter and spent some time in a candy store buying treats for the rest of us. Because I'm a vegan she bought me a bag of Jelly Belly peas and carrots... you know, Jelly Belly jelly beans shaped like peas and carrots.

Seriously, the cutest form of candy ever
But... If you don't know, Jelly Belly jelly beans are not vegan. They use beeswax to polish the candy. Now, sometimes I eat honey, but I try to avoid it. And while beeswax isn't honey and some people would consider it borderline as far as being vegan or not, I just couldn't bring myself to eat them. even though I wanted to. I mean, I could taste them just my looking at them. (I think they were tangerine and apple flavored--sweet and sour, my two favorite things together.) In the end, I gave them to a friend to take home to his kids. 

My friend, Library Vegan, texted me later with some news about a local restaurant--and she asked m what I ended up doing with the jelly beans. When I told her she responded: "You're such a good vegan."

Yes,  am a good vegan, dammit. 



1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm catching up on my blog reading this morning, so pardon my tardiness here -- but oh my god, I love Jelly Bellies. I remember going to the mall in Duluth when I was a kid and being mesmerized by the Jelly Belly aisle in the Mr. Bulky's store (and by all the other varieties of crazy candy they had in there, too). I wonder if Mr. Bulky's still exists?