Last May I was out with strep. Yes, strep. that thing that you probably haven't had since you were 16. Well, I tested negative for strep, but the doctor was like, "I looks like strep, it sounds like strep, we're treating it like strep." I was out for two weeks, but I stumbled into work when there was something I needed to be there for, and then I'd stumble home and sleep for 48 hours.
Now I have whatever version of head cold is making its way through campus. It's now Monday, and I've been home since Thursday afternoon. I even put a "I'm Sick" away message on my work email because I left in the middle of the day and didn't know how long I'd be out.
This is what I've learned--or re-learned--in the last few days.
- Grocery delivery services are the Best Thing Ever. I had groceries delivered Friday AM. I got things like cough drops, orange juice, NyQuil, soup, and Kleenex. As soon as I opened the door, the woman delivering my groceries said, "I hope you feel better.,"
- Sick Day TV is boring as fuck. Last time I watched a lot of Murder, She Wrote but I kept falling asleep in the middle of it. This time it's been the Food Channel.
- Not all sleepy time sick medicine is made the same. When I had strep, NyQuil was worthless. So this time I took the same sleepy time cold medicine but it didn't do jack shit. So I was awake at 2am, groggy, watching Beat fucking Bobby Flay on the Food Channel before I finally gave up and took some NyQuil on top of what I already took. Yeah, yeah, I shouldn't mix medicines, blah blah blah, but I lived. And slept.
- I tried playing Fallout Shelter on my phone. My dwellers keep having babies but there's not enough water, electricity, or food. So I stopped. Apparently those dwellers are still having babies.
- Unfortunately, NyQuil only goes so far. Saturday night I slept most of the night (meaning I didn't wake up every two hours), but I did wake up at 5am coughing and feeling shitty in a whole new way. So I moved to the couch so I could sleep sitting up. I woke up at 8am feeling like I'd slept sitting up on the couch.
- I went outside today. Outside! For the first time since Saturday. I took out the recycling because it was driving my crazy. And it completely wore me out.
- Twitter and Facebook are keeping me company.
- My friends are awesome because one of them delivered pho to me Friday night and another delivered some groceries I forgot to order (frozen strawberries for smoothies, dish soap, and coffee).
- I ordered a bunch of shit off Etsy.
- The cats are super happy I'm home.
- Being sick sucks.
No comments:
Post a Comment