I never thought it was possible to love a town as much as I love Madison. Never in my life have I felt as comfortable in a place as I feel in this town. This really is home. But I wasn't up here for fun--I was up here for a reason. And the reason I was here... Well, I don't think it will work out. But you know what, I'm okay with that. Really. It wasn't right for me. It didn't have the right feel. But this town? Totally right.
My hotel is on the edge of campus, so after meeting a friend for pizza (and several beers), I wandered farther onto campus--the area I spent most of my time: The Historic Society, the Union, the Terrace, and State street. I sat in front of the Historic Society. Amy and I used to sit out there eating lunch. I would sit out there when the traveling evangelical circus would pass through town and tell everyone they were going to hell. I talked to a girl walking her cat. Yes, her cat.
I walked over the Terrace. I don't have a UW ID or a day pass, so I couldn't buy beer at the Union. But I just wandered. I saw a group of people carrying "War is not the Answer" signs. These are my people. I wore my "Make Levees Not War: Bourbon Street New Orleans" shirt. I got a lot of nods and smile from people as I walked past them.
Then I walked back to State Street and walked about half way down before turning back. I knew I had to pack and take a shower and all that stuff before I head out tomorrow morning.
As I walked back up State Street I passed a group of people I saw sitting across the street from my hotel. I recognized them because one of them had a lime green mohawk. Mr Mohawk was watching me as I approached, and said,"I like your shirt." I thanked him. I got about five feet past him and he called out, "You're cute, by the way." I turned around, smiled and said, "Thanks." I wanted to say, "I'm probably old enough to be your mother--or at least her younger sister." But it still made my day.
No comments:
Post a Comment