It really isn't RIP since it isn't going away, it's just going exclusively online.
We used to read the Weekly World News in college. We'd read and laugh and then tear out the articles and tack them to the wall. The one that followed us from condemned house to condemned house was the one about the landlord choking to death on money.
Some friends and I almost subscribed but never got around to it--but I think one of use bought it almost weekly.
So, it's going online. It just isn't the same. The Weekly World News is a social things--like The Onion or The Simpsons. It is much funnier when read with other people. I mean reading The Onion online is fine, but I rarely do it. Sitting down with a copy of The Onion at a table, flipping through the pages, laughing and turning to a friend saying, "read this" while you both laugh together is much better than forwarding article to a friend. And The Simpsons is most definitely better when watched with a group.
The Weekly World News isn't any different. It's a social.
Oh, and while I'm talking about The Onion, I don't like it as much anymore. I read it online occasionally and if I can get a copy in print, I do (like when I was in Madison, DC, and Austin). And I read it cover to cover, but I don't like how it has been divided into sections: News, Sports, etc. I miss my favorite columnist. There hasn't been a Jean Teasdale column since 2006. Jim Anchower and Jackie Harvey are both still around, thank god. But bring back Jean. I miss Jean.
No comments:
Post a Comment