Sunday, August 5, 2007

UCLA's Report

UCLA presented their report after the student being tasered in the university library. I wrote something about it here.

Library Journal sums UCLA's 77 page report here. The officers were found to have used exessive force (duh) and the UCLA police would bring their policies up to date to reflect that. But since it seems the UCLA police guidelines were somewhat lax before this incident, the officers were found to have acted within the policy guidelines and were not disciplined.

I have a real problem with that. These officers were not disciplined for tasering a non-violent student, dragging him out of the library and then threatening to taser other students because they were threatening. Threatening? threatenings because they were telling officers to stop? Threatening because the were asking for their badge numbers? Right.

I can appreciate that UCAL did acknowledge that there was a problem, but according to the summaries of the report I read (I have not read the 77-page report), they didn't go far enough. I have a serious problem with the campus police not disciplining these officers with using excessive force and for threatening the use of force--I don't know if that is something they could be charged with, but they should.

The student tasered failed to show his ID. As the report said, this could have been avoided if he had just shown his ID. I agree with that. But the actions used against him for failing to show his ID were ridiculous.

No comments: