Saturday, February 7, 2009

How Do You Define Asshole?*

I'd say this guy does a good job of it here, here, and here.

Honestly, I don't know who Jeffrey Wells is, but I know the people who run the Oxford Film Festival very, very well. It's a great festival and one I was proud to take part in--both as a screener and an attendee--for several years. One of my favorite events ever year was the Film Festival. But I guess to some pseudo-cosmopolitan dipshits like Wells, the Oxford Film festival is merely a small local festival that no one outside of the region cares about. And he believes that he held up his end of the bargain by just being there, not attending the films, but mentioning it--along with how 1997 the place is.

I lived in that area for many years. I complained non-stop about the lack of things for those years. Ask anyone. But the thing I appreciated the most while I was there was how gracious people were. Part of it is a southern thing and part of it is just how you act in a small town. It's what you do. It could get exhausting trying to figure out what I was and wasn't supposed to do according to some social standards I really didn't understand. And while I knew I didn't want to stay there, it is a great little town to visit, and I look forward to returning to see friends and soak up both the liquor and the country-fried goodness.

But, see, this is the thing, I can complain about it because I lived there. I took part of it with me when I left. I have conflicted attitudes toward the south, but I'll be damned if I am going to let some jackass who was invited by the Film Festival to participate in a panel and attend the Festival trash the area, the town, the people, and then claim that he was the victim. Seriously? Because when you trash that town and those people I reserve the right to get defensive because trashing them is like trashing family. I can complain about it and them because they are part of me. But someone else? Hell, no. (And by "trash" I mean acting like a damn primadonna.)

So how do you define asshole? I'm thinking Jeffery Wells is it. Screw you and your pretentious bullshit. That Film Festival is run by people who love film, love their town, and want to highlight the talented people in the region while giving something back in return. And having seen the Festival grow over the last several years, I personally think it has gone past a "small regional festival" that no one outside of the area cares about to a great regional festival that is gaining a lot of positive press and recognition. And it is ALL being done on a volunteer basis. Every single part of it. So... No one cares about it? Hell, you're there right? Granted, you blew everyone off in order to eat overpriced food at City Grocery and take pictures of the Square. Believe me, there is more to the area than City Grocery and the Sqaure. Much more. And that much more is the people. The lovely, creative, welcoming people. And you, Mr. Wells, have shown nothing but contempt for all of them.

But, one thing, at least by blogging about it and trying to play the victim, you have shown that you, indeed, know how to define asshole. Too bad the Film Festival got buried in your bullshit.

*The thought, comments, and swearing in this post do not represent those of the Oxford Film Festival.... They represent me, a fan of the Oxford Film Festival.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget, the guy didn't even bother to go to the panel he was invited to be a presenter in, nor did he go to many (any?) of the films on the schedule.

ASS.

So the Downtown Inn has shitty wireless. Big f'ing deal. There's a great coffee shop not a block and twenty paces from the place with excellent wireless at all hours. There's wireless all over campus. I think there's even wireless access at the Malco Theater. This douchebag was just a whiny complainy pants who will (with luck) not be invited back next year. Who needs him? As one commenter on his blog remarked, he said nary a word about the film festival itself except to state that he didn't go.

Ugh.

Yankee Librarian said...

Let's not forget the wireless available on the Square. Hell, I remember being at Murff's one night, and I picked up their wireless on my phone. At MURFF's. There is wireless on campus. I don't know if all of it is accessible to non-university people, but last I knew, the wireless in the library was available to everyone.

This dude should reimburse OFF the cost of his ticket and the hotel. And everything. They are non-profit and getting by on donations. This dipshit seems to think they owe him for making a few comments about the town and the festival on his blog. Not appearing at the panel you were invited to participate in is not one unprofessional and inexcusable, it is just plain rude.

Anonymous said...

You can log in as a guest all over campus. You just have to give them an email address. Big f'ing deal.

This guy...what a piece of work. He has no shame, however, and even the many many people telling him what an ass he's being haven't convinced him that he's in any way wrong, and therefore cannot be shamed into paying the OFF back for what they shelled out. Sucks.

I love how he went to all the luncheons and parties, but has made no mention of the festival or the movies at the festival. All that seems to be on his blog is Wahhh wahhh wahhh.

That makes me sad.

Michelle said...

I miss you. And you would have loved hanging out with the film critics mafia.

Of course, that was not the only drama of the weekend...but I'll save that for another time.

Hopefully we'll have a gajillion photos on Facebook soon... stay tuned.

Debbie said...

OMG, what a jerk! Poor Melanie, for having to put up with that crap. At least he gave her a shout out.

Michelle said...

PS -- Loutopia and I have discussed a pattern for knitting "mood pockets", and I hope to be able to give them to our other panelists in time for SXSW.

Anonymous said...

OH MICHELLE!! That's the best idea I have ever heard. Do you think he'll show up for SXSW? I hear they don't allow wireless devices...

Yankee Librarian said...

So what makes a knit mood pocket a mood pocket? Size? Shape? Fiber? Color? I'm very curious.