Saturday, May 30, 2009

Rocket Man

I am an avid listener of public radio. Even in Mississippi I suffered through Mississippi Public Broadcasting. The cut-outs in signal, the broadcasting of two shows on top of each other, the repetition of the same shows back to back. Why? Because I love the national programing.

I have my favorites. Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Whad'ya Know (which KUOW in Seattle doesn't broadcast), Car Talk. And I passionately hate some programming, like anything done by Garrison Keillor (man, they love him up here; KUOW plays that craptastic show at least twice every weekend).

One show I don't listen to as much as one might think is This American Life. I like it. I subscribe to the podcast. But I rarely get around to listening to it. This morning I was a little slow getting out of bed, and I don't have to be anywhere until this afternoon (manicure followed by coffee).

Today's This American Life was a rerun where they looked at the lives of people who place classified ads in the local paper. The one segment that really caught my ear was Act Three: Musicians Classifieds. They went through the ads and put together a band. The band would be together for one day and would record one song. They had people from all over the music genre map and there were a few things that just didn't seem like they could fit. And they had a violinist who was in anger management.

They went into the to record Elton John's Rocket Man. And you know what? It was amazing. It was one of those things where I stopped everything I did to listen. I got goosebumps. Maybe it was the narrative that went with it--how within a few minutes these people clicked and played like they had always been playing together. It worked, and it worked well. I had hoped they had a copy of the song I could purchase, but I don't see it on their site. Because I would have paid the 99 cents to iTunes to get a copy. You can stream it here.

This episode is seven years old now. I really want to know what happened to the people in the band. Did they ever find a band? Did they ever decide to play together again? Was it just a one-time thing where Jupiter was in Mars and the star aligned just right?

I need to know!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

right click that streaming link and you can download the song.

and yes that was amazing wasn't it.

Anonymous said...

i found your blog because im trying to find out the same thing..lol I was wondering if i was the only one who thought it sounded awesome

Anonymous said...

Came to the blog for the same reason!

cephwalk said...

Was wondering if you caught the name of the instrument that factory worker was playing - the one that made the flying saucer sounds. I thought that really brought the song to life, in a way, and was trying to figure out what that instrument was called. Something unusual. Anyone know?

Yankee Librarian said...

Theremin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin