Sunday, May 31, 2009

One Year

One year ago tomorrow I left Mississippi for the Pacifical Northwest.

Amazing.

Some days it feels like I just got here. Other days it feels like I have been here for years. And often Mississippi feels like a whole different lifetime and world. And I mean that in a good way.

I realized yesterday I have had this blog for almost three years. I started it after going to a workshop where I got all excited about starting a library-related blog. A few weeks later my dad died and the focus of the blog changed quickly. Several times in the following two years I almost deleted it. I felt like I was exposing too much of myself during a very private, personal struggle. I would post things and then delete them. Or start them and then never publish them.

But now, looking back, I am really glad I stuck with it. I was able to document my life during a tough time, to document my life living in a place I kind of understood. I documented my move across the country. And now I'm kind of digging this whole blog thing.

So, one year ago today, I took pictures of Sweet Pickles' bathroom. I met the cleaning ladies I hired to clean my place and chatted with them while they swept up three years worth of cat hair. I watched the weather non-stop because I was worried I would hit nasty storms in the Arkansas Delta or the Missouri Bootheel. I met Frenchie for lunch one last time. I think we went to Newk's. The night before we went to Ajax so I could get fried pickles one last time.

And then the next morning, bright and early, I left a note for Sweet Pickles on his kitchen table, and I dove out of town about 6:30 in the morning, beginning the biggest and longest road trip I have ever been on.

My last May in Mississippi.

In Transition Part I, Mississippi to Iowa.

In Transition Part II, Iowa to Wyoming
.

In Transition Part III, Wyoming to Montana
.

In Transition Part IV, Montana to Washington.

2 comments:

Sweet Pickles said...

I'd forgotten the pics of the Texas bathroom that you had taken!

Yankee Librarian said...

How could I stay at your house and NOT take a picture of the Texas Bathroom. Hell, I have spread the word of the Texas Bathroom to Washington State.