Wednesday, June 4, 2008

In Transit, Part III

So far on this trip I have driven 2100 miles. Tomorrow is the last day on the road.

Today we drove from Sheridan, Wyoming to Missoula, Montana. It was my first time driving through mountains. Until I realized I was driving right under the cloud line (as opposed to fog) or coming down from a pass, I barely knew we were in mountains.

It rained off and on all day. I didn't take many pictures since my windshield wipers were on and the windows were covered with water.

Driving by clouds, I-90 in Montana

As we were heading toward the Continental Divide the scenery was awesome. And since we were stuck behind a slow-moving truck (like 20 mph slow), we had a lot of time to look at it.

When the road work cleared, I noticed the clouds were clearing a bit. And then I noticed the rain had changed a bit...

Me: Is that slush? Is it slushing?
Mom: No, it's just windy.
Me: No, I can see the drops. It's slush.
Mom: Yes, it is. It's slushing.
Me: Ohmygodit'ssnowing. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Holy shit, it's snowing!
Mom: What altitude are we at?
Me [pointing at Continental Divide sign]: Continental Divide! 6000 feet (6393 to be exact)
Me [as we begin to go down]: I have Mississippi plates. People can blame that on me going so slow in the snow. Eeeeeee!
Mom: It's not icy
Me: It's steep!
Mom: You've driven on steeper hills in Wisconsin with more snow.
Me: Ten years ago!

And then I began to laugh. I laughed because I had a freak out over snow. I wasn't expecting it and it totally caught me off guard. And I laughed because it was snowing on June 4.

Snow on I-90 in Montana

And then we saw a sign for the Testicle Festival. You know when you are tired and you see something and you are sure it doesn't say what you think it does? That's what I thought when I saw it. And then I realized it said exactly what I thought it did.

And the cats? They have become travelers and they sleep when in the car. Alexsi even lies on his back.

Alexsi resting on his back

No comments: