Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Gobbler, again

I've written about The Gobbler before. The Gobbler has been written about by others, but the best is over at Lileks.com where you can find the original brochures in pure Technicolor.

As I said back in 2006, I stumbled on The Gobble in library school and was so very excited when I found out it was located about 30 miles away. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to visit it--only drive by it.

When I went back to the Midwest in September, I flew into Milwaukee. I picked up a rental car and drove to Madison and then on to Iowa. I had thought about stopping at The Gobbler, but decided I would make that call when I got there. "There" was Johnson Creek, the ginourmous outlet mall off the interstate--The Gobbler is across the interstate from the outlet mall. I was making good time and it was still daylight when I got to Johnson Creek, so I stopped. A lot changed since the last time I was in the area in 2003, so I wasn't sure I was in the right place. Eight years ago you could see The Gobbler from the road... not anymore. But I turned a few times, came up over a small hill, and there it was: The Gobbler.

I squealed.

The Gobbler and the Jetta I drove for a week
 I love this place. I mean really love it. The architecture. The look. The vibe. I walked all the way around the building and loved it even more. I so wish this building could be saved. I have no clue if there are plans to demolish this building or not, but the motel was razed in 2002 and the area around The Gobbler is being built up. I figure it is just a matter of time before it's razed.

The entrance
I looked through the windows and was able to see the railings and all the cool stuff shown in the brochures.  It was too dark or I would've taken pictures.

The side view. The windows are referred to as "the eye of The Gobbler."
I didn't spend long at the Gobbler, but I was in awe of it the entire time. It's falling apart. There are holes in the roof. The ceiling of the entrance way is falling apart. But look at it--it's gorgeous.

The Gobbler, another view

Gobbler furniture
When I walked around to the back of The Gobbler I came across a pile of chairs. I actually gasped. "I have a car," I thought. "I could take one of these with me!" I got really excited but then remembered I had to fly home. So no chair. I wanted one of each. But seriously, how could someone just leave this furniture out to rot? 

For sale
There is an effort to save The Gobbler. And it is for sale. If I could afford it, I'd buy it. I'm not kidding. I love this building. Someone tried to re-open it in 2002, I think. It failed. It was resurrected before that. Personally, I think that a place like this could be a tourist destination, but it is probably a hard sell when it is surrounded by sprawl.

I do fear that The Gobbler is not long for this world. It's a shame, really. It represents a time, a place, an attitude, and an architectural style that just isn't around anymore.

No comments: