I don't know if other parts of the country have supper clubs, but the Midwest is crazy with them. I had someone ask me once what the "deal" was with supper clubs in Wisconsin. The "deal"? This person had never been to a supper club?
We had supper clubs in Iowa, but the Wikipedia seems to think the are predominantly in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. The Wikipedia entry links to an article from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that describes the Wisconsin supper club. The description pretty much fits an Iowa supper club. My impression of supper clubs in Iowa were that they were always in rural areas. There were several supper clubs in the rural area surrounding my dad's town. I had always thought of supper clubs as a small town or rural thing -- like restaurants in the countryside between a couple of small towns. But, then again, Iowa is pretty much the countryside dotted with small towns.
Some supper clubs have died, some have flourished. One dead supper club is just off I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee: The Gobbler. I first discovered it while I was in Madison, but not by seeing it. I found it through this site. (This site is also the home of the Gallery of Regrettable Food. It is awesome.)
I got so excited when I discovered The Gobbler. I was hoping it was still open because if it was, I was totally going there. And if I ever got married (which I don't plan on doing) I was getting married there. It's complete and total kitch. It's round! It's from the '60s. It's fantastic! Look at the lobby! The hallway! The "Passion Pit"! The whole place is classic. You just can't make this shit up.
Now, The Gobbler was a hotel and a supper club. They served turkey and prime rib every day. Swanky. They have the Royal Roost Cocktail Bar. And a Rotating Bar. Now, this is what a supper club is supposed to look like. If this didn't work for you and you wanted something special, check out the Lavender Room. And the Dance Club. Check out the woman with the big glasses and beehive. She looks a little old to be hanging out in a dance club.
So one day while in Library School, my friend Amy and I were driving to Milwaukee to take some pictures and do a few things for a class project. We're going along all fine and dandy when I just freaked out. Why? The Gobbler! Right off the Interstate! Close to the Johnson Creek Outlet Mall! It was still standing! It isn't operational anymore, but it is still there! On the way back I tried to take a picture as we drove by. Amy even slowed down on the Interstate but no luck. She offered to pull off the Interstate so I could get a better shot but I declined. Damn, I wish I would've.
The Gobbler. Man, I hope someday someone restores the thing to its kitchy glory. I will make a trip back Up Nort' just to see it.
Edit: According to the Wisconsin HIstorical Society someone tried to unsuccessfully operate The New Gobbler in the original supper club building. And the original hotel building was razed in 2001. I passed by it in spring 2001, but I don't know if what I saw was the supper club or the hotel. My guess is supper club.
No comments:
Post a Comment