Thursday, December 21, 2006

Packers-Vikings

The Packers may be pretty much sucking this season, but you know what? They beat the Vikings. Twice. 9-7. Nice. It's the only thing that makes Packer fans happy when the team generally sucks.

Not that I was able to see it on TV, of course. Why? Because of the idiotic NFL and their even more idiotic NFL Network. See, this was "Thursday Night Football." It's this idiotic idea by the NFL to charge people to watch games on Thursday nights. Because they can't get enough pro football on Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, and Monday night. Thing is, though, this is the Packers last home game this season (their last game is against the Bears at Soldier Field; it will be an ugly ugly loss for the Packers). So? The last game? Who cares? Well, I do. Because with every season that goes by, us fans are reminded that it might be Brett Favre's last season, and if it is, this would be his last Lambeau game. It would be good to go out on a win against the Vikings at home, but judging from the score (and winning on three field goals) it wouldn't be a proud win.

Anyway... I have said this to other people at other times, but Brett Favre, in my incredibly biased opinion, is the best quarterback to ever play the game. If not for the raw talent he has exhibited over the years, but for the absolute love of the game. For his devotion to His Team. For his understanding that this is a team sport. Now, I know there are people who say he should retire or that the Packers should trade him to another team. I'd prefer to see him retire than wear another jersey. I want to see him go out as Packer. I have a feeling he would, too.

I just hope when he retires that he tells someone. That he doesn't decide over the summer that he won't be coming back. I want to see his last game. I want to see the over-the-top sentimentality that will be exhibited by those fans in Lambeau. I want to hear the roar (even if it is on TV) of those fans. I want to see him go out with a bang. I don't want him to just walk off. I also would like to see the Packer Organization retire his jersey that very day. Because no one in Green Bay will ever wear no. 4 again.

You think I'm making too much of this? You think I am over the top, too? They you have never experienced the Cult of the Packers in person. It isn't just a religion, it is a way of life. People Up Nort' live and breath the Packers. Their week revolves around the Packers. And everything revolves around Brett Favre.

See, the thing is that Favre can still play. He really can. He doesn't take the chances he used to. And the games aren't wet, sloppy, muddy, and messy now that they have a field that won't get muddy and sloppy. He can't throw into coverage like he used to and he doesn't take the chances he used to. But, damn he can still play. He's leading a new team with a new coach. Will he back? I don't know.

And his best game ever? The Monday Night game against the Raiders, the game a few days after his dad died. I sat in my apartment and had goosebumps during that game. Seriously. I have never, ever seen a game like that. It was an amazing thing. Now, Favre said he wanted to play, and as every fan of football knows, a quarterback is only as good as his receivers. Favre played because he knew his dad would want him to. But you know that the GB receivers knew this was a big game for Favre. They knew they had to perform, because this wasn't just any game. And it wasn't. It is a game that will go down as one of the best, the most amazing ever played.

So, see, this is why I don't want Favre's last game to be broadcast only on some fledgling pay cable network designed by the NFL as a moneymaker but does nothing more than alienate (and piss off) fans not in the home market (Green Bay and Milwaukee). Bastards.

No comments: