Photo from NYTimes.comIt kind of freaked us out. I mean, the Statue of Liberty with a cross? And it's all lit up. It had been a year or so since I had been down this area of Winchester (now I seem to be there all the time -- a new, reliable car will do that), but I couldn't figure out how I had missed this. It's huge. Seriously.
I was curious so I Googled the statue, and you know what I found out? It's new. There's even an article about it in the NY Times. Man oh man.
A month or so ago I was up there again with LS and ME and I tried to take a picture of it, but it was night and I was using my camera phone. It turned out pretty blurry. That didn't stop me from sending the image to K and N. I mean, c'mom, it's Lady Liberty with a freakin' cross. Next time I'm in Memphis, I have got to take my camera so I can take a real picture.
Thing is, this doesn't even shock me much anymore. Three years ago I would have gone on and on about how this things was ridiculous and religious is personal and private and doesn't belong in a public setting, and now I thinks, "Excellent, another marker for directions." The Winchester Farmers Market (a store containing an odd assortment of various ethnic food and kitch) is across the street from lady Liberty. And just down the street? I know I've reached the Asian Grocery Store when I see the New Direction Church sign.
I guess public religion has a place in society: markers for ethnic grocery stores.
No comments:
Post a Comment