Friday, December 29, 2006

Saddam Hussein

Saddam Hussein is dead. It seems so strange. I'm not sure why, though. It just does.

I have no sympathy for the man. But the execution seemed so sudden. And there were other crimes he has done and had to be tried for (or so I thought). Sure, he was found guilty for what he did, but what about the victims and families of victims of his other crimes. So he's dead, but those victims never got their day in court.

And now they are saying there are pictures and video. That is something I can't deal with. Not being a supporter of the death penalty to begin with, having video and photos of an execution seems even more barbaric. It also reminds me of the execution of Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu and his wife. They were executed on Christmas Day 1989. I remember seeing a documentary Ceausescu where they showed pictures of the dictator and his wife, dead. It was creepy. Again, I have no sympathy for Ceausescu--he was an absolute barbarian--but seeing pictures of he body seemed so wrong in so many ways.

I guess I feel the same way about pictures and video of Hussein's execution.


No comments: