Monday, December 11, 2006

Mama Don't Take my Kodochrome Away

These images are from Daily Kos. Daily Kos talks about how they are America pre-Pearl Harbor -- and they are. But more than that, they show The Depression in full Kodochrome color. When I first looked at these my brain had a difficult time wrapping itself around the fact that these were from the 1930s and '40s. They are so incredibly vivid and rich. I'm so used to seeing these images in black and white -- in color they look completely different.

Kos also links to some images available through the Library of Congress' American Memory Project. They have them listed by subject, creator, and geographic index. Being the dork that I am, I went straight to the subject index and then to Women. There is a List View and a Gallery View of the photos.

These are amazing. Color images of women from the 1930s and 1940s. Depression-era, WWII-era. Women working in factories, women quilting, women doing what they need to do for their families and their country. And to have them in Kodochrome is even niftier.

Take some time, look at these images. They're worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're right: these images in color sort of freak me out. All those people totally become real, actual people.