I have nothing to say about what happened in Connecticut that hasn't already been said.
The Onion summed up how I felt on Friday with their headline (and story), Fuck Everything, Nation Reports followed by, Report: It [sic] Okay To Spend Rest Of Day Curled In the Fetal Position under Desk.
Listen, I'm angry. Very. I'm angry that this happened. I'm angry that we allowed this to happen. And we as a nation did allow this to happen. I want this fixed. I want to throw something every time I see and hear someone say that people will hurt someone whether they have a gun or not, so why does gun control matter? I am still shocked when I hear some jackass say that we'd be safe if those teachers had only had guns. I'm not just shocked that people say it--I'm shocked that people believe it.
But more than being angry, I'm sick. I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about what happened. I'm trying not to be hopeless.
Like many, I spent Friday night watching dumb, meaningless TV because it felt good. And I did the same thing all weekend. Because it kept me from thinking.
The title of this post was taken from Mary's post, No News is Good News. Despite my paragraph describing my anger, I agree with Mary. Wholeheartedly. I have my opinions, of course, but what I want more than anything is to see us as a country figure out how to never, ever allow this to happen again. To paraphrase Chris Kluwe on Twitter, how we react and deal with this will show us how where we are headed as a society.
So, everyone--and I am including myself in this--shut the fuck up. Just shut up. Stop pushing your personal or political agenda. This isn't about you or me anymore--this is about us. And, yes, we are better than this.
No comments:
Post a Comment