Monday, April 29, 2013

I don't trust anyone without a TV.

Shortly after I moved to Ye Olde College Town, I was telling Frenchie about this guy I went to grad school with who, when we were discussing TV-related stuff in class, would always announce, "I don't have a television." This was the same guy who spoke to his kid in Russian, but was not Russian (it was actually very fascinating to watch them interact), claimed his wife was allergic to electricity, and once said he couldn't listen to or learn from one of our profs because she used the British pronunciations of some words and it threw his concentration off.

Anyway, when I mentioned how annoying he was based on his no-TV statements, French said, "I don't trust anyone without a TV. And at that moment, I had a 1) new friend, and 2) a new philosophy. I told this to a friend/coworker shortly after I arrived here since there is a big "I don't have a TV" contingent. He told me when he moved here he tried at almost every point during a conversation with a new person to talk about what he had been watching on his television just to figure who he wanted to talk to and who he didn't want to talk to. 

My point? I bought a new TV. A big one. Well, bigger than the 19" TV I bought in 1998 that I have been using for three years after my five-year-old TV broke. It's a 40-inch smart TV. And it's awesome. I mean awesome. I could lie on the couch for days and watch shit on TV or Netflix or whatever all damn day. Because I am that much of a slug. I do not care. 

The make-believe world looks better in 1080p.

No comments: