Saturday, November 25, 2006

Just Like Grandma Used to Make

I have been craving Grandma's sage dressing. She never stuffed the turkey so we never called it "stuffing" -- always dressing. She made it in a big roasting pan with torn up white bread and everything else that goes into sage dressing. So, I set out to find a vegetarian version. And you know what? It was not difficult as I thought.

I combined two recipes, one from Allrecipes.com that is simply called Vegetarian Dressing. The other is Rival Crockpot recipe for vegetarian stuffing from some healthy eating site. I left out all the extras: mushrooms, nuts, fruit, etc. I don't like that stuff in dressing. I tore up a loaf of cheap white bread and left it in a bowl over night (loosely covered) so that it would have that "day old" texture. I sauted the celery and onions and tossed them with the bread. The Allrecipes recipe called for veggie stock and cream of mushroom soup, the Rival recipe used cream of mushroom soup and water. I went with the veggie stock and soup. I combined those in a small bowl and them mixed it into the bread mixture. Then I added both sage and poultry seasoning. I dumped it all into my Crockpot and let it cook. (I have a newer Crockpot but it isn't anywhere near as cool as Sally's Crockpot.)

And you know what? It was just like Grandma's sage dressing. I was so damn proud of myself.

The rest of the holiday consisted of a lot of napping. I had planned on doing stuff for an upcoming job interview but decided that general lethargy and a marathon of The Real Housewives of Orange County was much better.

No comments: