I don't know what took me so damn long to finally listen to the Heartless Bastards, but I am damn glad I did.
When I taught my class in Spring 2006 several students wore band/music-related tshirts (it was a music-themed class). One was Franz Ferdinand, the other was Heartless Bastards. Franz Ferdinand I had heard of, Heartless Bastards, not so much. I did a little research. They're on Fat Possum Records. They're a three-piece from Ohio. And ohmygodIlovethem.
I almost bought their second album, Stairs and Elevators, while I was in Madison a few weeks ago, but I didn't. I figured Fat Possum was a local label I could easily get the album in town, so I bought The Kills instead. I didn't regret not buying the Heartless Bastards, but they were definitely bumped to the top of my list. Some friends and I stopped by a local bookstore after lunch last week, and they had all the Fat Possum releases on display. I bought Heartless Batards' first and second: All this Time and the previously mentioned Stairs and Elevators.
I listened to them a bit while I was importing the albums into iTunes (yes, I still buy albums and import them into iTunes; I'm not a big fan of buying songs/albums from iTunes), and I liked what I heard. Yesterday I finally sat down and listened to the two albums, and I was completely blown away. I have been listening to nothing else since then. I even listened to them at the gym yesterday, and I usually listen to sugar-coated 80s pop music (specifically the Valley Girl soundtracks) when I am at the gym. I love everything about these albums--her voice, the music, the overall sound.... it's all good.
No comments:
Post a Comment