Sunday, July 8, 2007

My New Toy


I bought a Tmobile Wing. It does almost everything an iPhone does, it just doesn't look as cool. But it is cute. And I don't have to be tied to AT&T, which is good since I dislike AT&T. Actually, I hate Cingular. When they became one with AT&T I bought out my contract, I disliked them so much. I've been with Tmobile for years and have very few complaints.

I had planned on upgrading to a Blackberry or smartphone of some sort in the spring, but for whatever reason, I decided I needed this now. Normally when I buy something expensive, buyer's remorse sets in the next day. I had some big buyer's remorse when I bought my car even though I really needed a new car. But with this? No. Even though I really didn't need it, I just I wanted it.

It's pretty cool. It feels good to the touch. It's smaller than I thought yet a little heavier than it looks. It works with wi-fi, and I've used my wi-fi with it, but it drains the battery pretty fast. Web browsing is only so-so--the screen is a bit small. I read reviews that web browsing was sluggish without wi-fi. It is, but I didn't think it was that much faster with the Edge network. Emailing is cool, though. The little keyboard isn't too bad, but I have discovered it can be difficult when you have fingernails--I'm not cutting my nails for a phone. That little button on the left at the top of the keyboard? That's the send button. I've sent a few emails before I meant to.

I had a RAZR before this, and I get better reception with this than I did the RAZR. I called a few people and they said I sounded fine. I didn't do the MyFaves thing because I found out there aren't five people I call enough. I hardly call anybody, really. Email and texting have become the norm for me.

It has an mp3 player that doesn't sound half bad. I have one song on it: Camper Van Beethoven's "Take the Skinheads Bowling." My ringtone? "Take the Skinheads Bowling." I wanted to edit the mp3 so that it starts right off with either, "Every day I get up and pray to Jah" or the chorus, but I don't have song editing software. I tried to use the Audacity software that came with me USB turntable, but it didn't work. So, if you call me and I don't answer right away it's because I am listening to my ringtone. I am a total dork. (I must admit, though, I kind of miss Duran Duran's "Rio" as my ringtone, if just for the reason ME would laugh every time my phone rang.)

I showed it off when I was out Friday night. ME called me so I could figure out how to answer a phone call. And a certain person, I will not mention names, but her name is also that of a certain crazy-ass musician, said (while sipping her shot of tequila), "What is up with this Apple phone I heard about." I wanted to ask, "Have you been living under a rock for six months? I didn't think there was anyone not even slightly aware of the iPhone." But the look on MK's face--and the rolling of his eyes--said it all.

I am such a geek for toys. I don't know why. When I lived in Madison, some days I would go to Best Buy and just wander around the electronic section playing with the various gadgets. If it has buttons and flashing lights, I'm a sucker for whatever it is.

And then there's this: A Hipper Crowd of Shushers. I'm not sure if I should be offended or not. I guess I am because people seem so amazed that librarians can be hip.

No comments: