Monday, October 1, 2007

4-0 and 422 and 241

I did not plan for this blog to become about football or the Packers. But looking at the last few posts, it has.

Brett Favre=Best Quarterback To Ever Play the Game. Seriously. I am not a football historian. I don't know stats. I only really care about one team (if you don't count that I want the Vikings to lose every game they play). I am not a Wisconsin native, but I often claim it as my home state. And the absolute devotion to the Packers from their fans trumps the love every fan of SEC football claims to have for their favorite team. Packerdom is a religion.

Now, I am not one of those wacky Packer fans that paints my basement (with the wood paneling, of course) green and gold. I do not cover my walls with Packer memorabilia. I do not list knowing the Packelope and the Pope of Lambeau Field as my claims to fame (I know neither). But, I do own a Packers t-shirt. I do have a cheesehead. I do have Packer front license plate--but I have it in my office, not on my car.

I do love the Packers. I do know they are not perfect. I did almost have a heart attack when the Packer Organization talked about signing Randy Moss. I take the games almost too seriously. I was able to see the last couple minutes of the Packers-Vikings game Sunday--I saw the part where the Packers fumbled with 1:45 (or so) to go and then intercepted a Vikings pass. I think my neighbors heard me screaming, I was so happy.

I was happy because they beat the Vikings. When it comes to Vikings games, stats don't matter. They are stand alone games. Nothing before it and nothing after it matter. The Packers have had losing seasons where they beat the Vikings twice--that alone is enough to make us happy.

So, this Sunday, the Pack beat the Vikings in the Dome. Not an easy thing to do. They are 4-0. Not something that any of us expected. I'm excited. It's good to see them winning. But I know they are not a perfect team. They play the Bears this upcoming Sunday and the Redskins the following Sunday. I'll be at he Redskins game. I chose that game for a couple of reasons--the date, for one. I figure tickets would be cheap (relatively speaking), and I figured it would be a game that didn't carry a lot of weight. Oh, how I was wrong. We have our tickets, but they have sky-rocketed to $250+ each. The Packers will be heavily favored against the Bears. But the Redskins? I don't know. I don't want to go to a losing game. And the thing is, when you are undefeated it's like waiting for the first scratch on a new car. You know at some point it is going to happe--you just don't know when. I don't want it to be against the Redskins.

Oh and 422? Unless you live under a rock you probably know that is the number of touchdown passes Favre has thrown. He has started in 241 consecutive games. The man is an amazing athlete.

So, 4 and 0 + 422 + 241 = Greatest Quarterback Ever. It does. Look it up.

No comments: