Saturday, April 5, 2008

Swatchtastic

So, I have been going through more stuff. I found all kinds of things, but two things really made me laugh. In a box of stuff from Dad’s house, I found two Swatch watches. Not just any Swatch watches, but Swatch watches that screamed "1980s!" I had three Swatch watches. These two and one more that was completely black (except for the gold hands). I still have the black one, but I think it is in another box.


The Swatch on the left, the yellow one, is one of the scratch and sniff Swatches. There was raspberry (pink), banana (yellow), and blue... Possibly blueberry. I wanted raspberry, but I remember these things being really popular so you couldn't always get the one you wanted. And I think only one or two stores sold them--Younkers and Donaldsons. Younkers is an Iowa department store, and I think Donaldson's was part of the Dayton's (Minneapolis department store) chain. I got the yellow one for my birthday in 1985. I loved it. Did it smell like banana? No. It smelled like plastic. The pink and blue one, I bought that one in (West) Germany. The third Swatch, the one I didn't find, was also bought in Germany.


A close up of the German Swatch watch. If the mix of blue, pink, salmon, along with the use of polka-dots doesn't scream "1986," I don't know what does. Part of me wants to start wearing this one again.


This is what a Swatch would cost you in West Germany in 1986. I think the rate was 2.5 DM to every dollar. When I think about how little money I had while I was there and how much this was for a plastic watch in 1986... I'm surprised I bought two.


Just in case you wanted to see a scratch and sniff Swatch up close. I think this is the case that the black Swatch came in. I seem to remember the scratch and sniff Swatches came in more traditional watch boxes.

I was so proud of this watch. It made me cool. I had at least one useless Swatch guard. I also remember the band got gross--probably due to whatever made it smell. And because I eventually had three Swatches, I may have even wore two or more at one time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Part of me wants to start wearing this one again."

All of me thinks you SHOULD start wearing this one again. Immediately.

If you've got all three of yours, I think you should link them together and wear the resulting Swatch-chain around your ankle.