The older I get, the more I appreciate the Minutemen. I really think they are one of the best bands to have ever existed. Ever ever ever. And while I don't think I could ever say I have an all-time favorite song, the Minutemen's "History Lesson Part II," from Double Nickels on the Dime, would likely be it.
It's a love song. It's a love song written from one friend to another. It's a love song about a scene and music. Like the Minutemen, it's simple. And amazing.
I found this video on YouTube. according to the info posted with it, it was made for a friend's birthday in Vancouver, BC. But I also like how they described the song and the video they made: "This awesome music video is an urban nomadic look into the close bond that builds with friendship."
This video is from the end of the Minutemen documentary, We Jam Econo. If you haven't seen it, watch it. Right now.
D Boon was killed in a car accident in 1985. The Minutemen were, in my opinion, one of the most influential bands to come out of the early '80s. They were one of the most influential bands, ever. This song, in retrospect, is bittersweet. And it can bring tears to my eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment