Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sun Worship

I have never loved the sun as much as I do now that I live in the Pacific Northwest.

I don't know what it is, though. It gets gray and dreary in the Midwest. I missed the sun like crazy when I moved to central Wisconsin, but I got used to it. I don't ever remember having the urge to run outside whenever the sun came out.

But here? When the sun is out I have to fight the urge to spend all day lying in the grass on the hill behind my building. The sun? It's fucking glorious.

This morning I met some friends downtown at the Farmer's Market. It was cloudy and a little cool. We met to wander, have a small breakfast, and check out the vegan lotion made by a local artisan. She and her husband have a shop in town but she also sets up at the market on Saturday mornings. Last weekend I took a friend and colleague by there, this morning I took another friend (and colleague) there, 1) because they're stuff is amazing; 2) they're stuff is all vegan and my friend is also vegan; and 3) she made grapefruit perfume but didn't have it with her last Saturday and she promised she'd have it with her today. She did!

Lunch was at a local brewery where had the vegan version of a bacon (tempeh), lettuce, avacado, and tomato sandwich and it was damn good. And an IPA. Beer, football, and TV seemed to be the main topics of the day. And the freaks covered in this BBC program (YouTube link to the program; posted in six parts). Seriously, y'all, these people are complete freaks. An old friend from college told me about this program a couple of week ago. I don't have BBC America, but I found the above videos on YouTube. We were IMing while I watched them, and I spent most of the time saying, "What is wrong with these people? This has to be fake." And asking my friend, "What the hell is wrong with you? I hate you for making me watch this; I'm scarred for life." I have to say, though, it makes me feel better that I am not the only one who watches shit like this. Kind of.

But see, my point is (and I do have one), it was cloudy the entire time I was out and about this morning. By the time I got home the clouds were just beginning to clear, and when I saw the sun I knew I couldn't spend the afternoon inside. So after walking a good two miles this morning, I grabbed my purse and made a beeline to the local bayside park. I walked to another local neighborhood where I knew I could find good coffee and vegan pumpkin bread. When I got home I almost planted my butt on the hill behind my building but knew I did have things I had to do. I reluctantly did them.

I can't remember another time or place when I enjoyed spending so much time outside. I think I am finally beginning to understand why people around here are so outdoorsy and active.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I watched that..it was NUTS!