I feel like this blog is beginning to become one big obituary, so I thought I would post some general, boring randomness.
My two favorite foods right now: Pluots, kohlrabi, and cherries. I'm not new to kohrabi. My dad grew it and I ate it while growing up. It's one of my favorite vegetables. You can cook it but I prefer it raw. Dad always sprinkled it with salt, although I tend to leave it plain. I've always peeled it but found out the skins really add to the taste. I just tried one with the skin and it was so very good. A little bitter, but it really added to the taste.
Pluots? I'm new to those. I started getting them in them in my biweekly veggie delivery. It's a hybrid of a plum and an apricot. I'm normally not a fan of hybrids of fruit and vegetables. I find it a little too, well, weird. But these things are awesome. They are dark red on the inside and amazingly sweet. Messy, but awesome.
It's cherry season in the Pacific Northwest. Wisconsin has cherries, specifically Door County cherries, and they are so good, but they are sour. These are sweet Bing cherries. I remember loving them when I was a kid. And now? I can't get enough of them. I bought a pound yesterday at the farmer's market and ate the entire pound that afternoon.
I had Ethiopian food for lunch yesterday. I can only get it at the farmer's market. The woman who owns/runs the booth is having a cooking class at the local Co-op. She isn't cook exclusively vegan, but two of the dishes will be. I'm seriously thinking about taking it.
I saw Harry Potter Friday afternoon. So good. It was the first of the series that I saw in the theatre. It made me want to re-read the book. I may. I may not. I can't wait for the final installment.
You know what starts tonight? Mad Men! Season 3! You know what starts this week? Project Runway! Top Chef! Welcome back, TV. You've been missed.
2 comments:
I was just thinking yesterday when I was at the Farmer's Market store, what the hell is a pluot? And I forgot to look it up on the wikipedia. So thanks for that. Next time, perhaps I'll purchase. But yesterday I bought peaches instead, and made a crisp. It was tasty.
They are really good. They are sweet enough they can satisfy my must-have-something-sweet cravings.
Post a Comment