Thursday, February 18, 2010

Project Runway

Remember when Project Runway would be on once every twelve months or so? it would take so long that the start of the new season was so exciting. Well, now that they are pumping these things out every six months or so it isn't nearly as exciting.

The last couple of seasons have been "meh." People were trying too hard to create a catch line or be a character. While this season has characters (I'm look at you, Anthony), I feel like this group is more genuine than the last for a few reasons.

Why? A couple of reasons.

Emilio. That guy is crazy talented. Seriously. Talented.

Seth Aaron. I normally can't stand the cliche rocker designer. And the cliche British flag jacket he wore the first episode made me gag and roll my eyes. At the same time. But I'm warming up to him and his design because he has real talent, not just cliche crap. And that jacket he made in the kid episode was a-may-zing. I will admit that my overuse of the word cliche is, in fact, cliche.

Jonathon. I barely knew he existed before the show with the kids. (I am typing this during that show so I don't know the outcome.) But some of his quotes and imitations? Oh, lord. His imitation of Michael Kors was dead one ("Looks like a 7 year-old waitress for Benihana. It's as if Memoirs of a Geisha met Barney." *edit: I had the quote wrong, so I fixed it) Or his reaction to the kids: "[Kids] are so small" is how he described why they made him nervous. After they met with the kids for a fitting he lifted his arm up, stuck his nose in hit pit and said, "That one little child made me so nervous I smell."

Really, though, in the end, I feel like there is honest-to-god talent this season. The last two (the last Bravo! Season and the first Lifetime season) were really weak. The whole thing felt rushed.

Oh, and thank god they are back in New York. That LA shit was dumb.

Models of the Runway, however, still sucks.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Yeah, last season was really lame. I find myself still wishing that Carol Hannah had won just because I didn't think talent mattered all that much by the end. I didn't care much for Irina or the other one from Ohio (who should have received an award for worst personal fashion sense in the history of the show--she was even worse than that weird Pan-like creature from the season Christian won).

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I am looking forward to the field thinning so that we can start seeing everyone's work in progress. I'm getting tired of he formula that telegraphs who will be in the bottom three based on how much air time they get.

Just Jess said...

I'm with you completely! I have exactly the same impression of Seth Aaron. I'm glad the field is shrinking so that we can begin to get to know the competitors, but I really was not in love with last night's episode! Also, I initially thought Models of the Runway was a good idea, sigh...I have been proven wrong.

cindy w said...

I agree about how the editing often telegraphs who's going to be in the top/bottom 3. But I thought they did a good job last night because I was sure Emilio would've been in that group based on the editing, but he was safely in the middle. Huh. Alright, PR editing team, you got me that time!

I think I first noticed Jonathan when was talking about Ping's 2nd dress, and said, "I don't know, maybe it's *supposed* to have an ass-flap?" And yeah, his Michael Kors impression was pretty spectacular.

Not sad to see Janeane go. Bye, Janeane. I could never figure out who you were in relation to Anna, but I guess now we've gotten rid of both of the mousy brunette white-girl designers.

Yankee Librarian said...

@WCFC: I don't even remember who won last season.

@JustJess: What I liked about this episode was that it was easier to see who the designers were and what they were doing.

@Cindy: I remember the ass-flap comment, but I didn't know it was Jonathon.