I love the train.
I wish I could say I took the train all the time, but I don't. Yet I probably take it more than many. Most often I take it to Seattle for the afternoon. For about $40 round-trip I have enough time to meet friends for lunch and do some shopping. It takes longer than the drive, but it is more relaxing, the view is better, and I don't have to deal with parking.
Twice I have taken the train to Portland. The trip is a little more than six hours--it's four by car, if there are no major traffic issues in Seattle. Despite the extra time, I prefer the train.
But, yeah, I love it. Everything about it. I love standing around in our little train station listening to the incredibly exasperated station attendant explaining over and over that baggage closes 30 minutes before the train leaves, that you have to sign your ticket, and that you don't need to get a seat assignment (in Seattle and Portland you do need to get a seat assignment). I love seeing the train pull into the station. I like the car attendants in their uniforms helping everyone on the car. It's laid back and borderline romantic.
I grab a cup of coffee, some breakfast, and hop on the train. If I'm going to be on the train for a while, I eventually grab a beer and watch the scenery. One of my favorite things to do is to stand in the vestibule and drink a beer. I have a view out both windows. I am usually by myself, and I can get lost in both the scenery and my own thoughts.
Some things I noticed this time:
- They now have a vegan food option. They have always had a vegetarian item, but it was nice to see a vegan choice. I usually take my own food (Trader Joe's Spicy Lentil Wrap has yet to let me down), but it's good to know they have something if I can't bring my own food.
- I've read that ridership is up something like 20%. I know ridership at our station is up, but ridership is up nationwide. This has become evident over the last few months, because the cars are often filled. Around here, a lot of that is due to having extended service to Vancouver, BC. They did it because of the Winter Olympics, but looking at how full the train cars are, I doubt they will get rid of the extended service.
- Amtrak shows some decent movies. I saw most of Up in the Air on a trip back from Seattle in March. This time they showed Sherlock Holmes and Young Victoria. I didn't watch Sherlock Holmes but I listened to Young Victoria.
- The attendants on the train are incredibly amusing and self-deprecating. They make the trip a lot of fun. I'm beginning to recognize their voices and accents (at least one of them in French Canadian).
Taking the train really makes me realize how lucky I am to live here. First, I have the option to take the train, it has a decent schedule, and it's convenient. Second, it reminds me how amazingly beautiful the Pacific Northwest is. My one complaint: I wish we had a commuter train to Seattle. Given the terrain, I doubt we ever will. Vancouver would be nice, though. Real nice.



1 comment:
Well, I for one am jealous.
Post a Comment