Really.
When I tell people I'm vegan one of the first things they say is, "I'd miss cheese too much." I thought I would too. Hell, the whole time I was in Mississippi I waxed poetic about cheese curds. And, honestly, cheese curds are pretty awesome just because only in Wisconsin can you get honest-to-god fresh cheese curds. (I'm looking at you local Washington dairy who told me their cheese curds were fresh... and then told me in the same breath that to make them squeak I would have to put them in the microwave for a few seconds.) But after almost two years, cheese kind of grosses me out. Even cheese curds.
I've been reading about Daiya vegan "cheese." My vegan friends have been raving about it. A local pizza place uses it for their vegan pizza. I tried it on their pizza and it was really rich, and I wasn't sure I liked it.
I met some local vegans for dinner last weekend where there was much talk about Daiya. So... On the way home, I swung by the Co-op to get some. I've used it twice: Once on tostadas and one in some spinach quesadillas. I will probably be scorned by vegans everywhere for saying this, but I really don't like it. Vegans have been waiting forever for a non-dairy cheese that is easily accessible, and that melts. Daiya does all of those things.
But... it tastes oily. And fake. Because it's fake shredded cheese that is made with a bunch of oil.
So, I think I am going to go back to my cheese-less pizza (seriously, it's good), and soft-shell tacos with avacados, veggies, and black beans sans cheese.
3 comments:
Just the thought of a cheese-less pizza makes me want to cry for you. I'm glad you think it's good, but... no. That sounds awful. The whole POINT of pizza is to be a vehicle for cheese. And meat.
Obviously, there is no way on earth I could ever go vegan. Or even vegetarian.
Don't cry for me.
I tried the fake-cheese pizza again tonight. No go. Too oily. I'd rather go cheese-less
I've lived a largely cheese-less existence over the last few years, too--not for vegan purposes, but due to me finally figuring out I'm lactose intolerant. I still eat pizza with cheese on it, and have the occasional ice cream, but I find I don't miss it much, either. At least I've finally managed to train myself to remember to take some lactaid beforehand...
Then again, I never really liked the taste of milk since the time I was a little kid, and I've never been one to snack of slices of cheese or anything like that, so maybe this just felt natural to me. It probably made it easier to adapt.
Post a Comment