Saturday: Walk to farmer's market. Buy cupcake for my hairdresser. Buy a chocolate thing from the place with the vegan bakery (it's awesome that she has a booth, but her baked goods are hit and miss). Talk to some friends. Get my hair cut and colored (loooove the new color my hairdresser recommended). Buy new sterling silver bracelet--it's one more thing to take off before going through airport security.

New bracelet
Sunday: Turn a year older, not just any year... 40. Plan on having a day of sloth, celebration will be later in the month. Decide to go to Target. Followed by Kohl's and Macy's where many sales were found. Watch The Breakfast Club, a movie as good now as it was in 1985. Seriously. Think about how much John Hughes is missed, even if he was a recluse and hadn't made a movie in years. During the scene when Carl (janitor) and Vernon (principal) are drinking beer and discussing these "kids today," think how our slacker generation didn't turn out that bad. Take that, Vernon!
************
It was a low-key birthday. It was one of those things I have been obsessing and thinking about for so long that it is almost anti-climactic. I had nothing planned. I decided I didn't want to do anything today, but a spa day is being planned for later this month. I'm going with birth-month, not just birth-day.
And after all that obsessing, turning 40 was kind of a relief, almost liberating. Kind of like turning 30, but different.
3 comments:
Well, apparently I'm late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sounds like it was a nice, low-key one.
My sister is turning 40 in August. She is... not low-key about it at all. In fact, she's been freaking out about it for quite some time. Eh, what can you do? I tend to shrug off my birthdays. They just don't feel like that big a deal anymore.
I wasn't low-key about it until it got here. I wouldn't say I was freaking out about it(although some might not agree), I couldn't believe it was going to happen. Or that I was this old. Or I would refuse to talk about it. But now it's a relief to have it here and over.
But, you're not late. Today is my actual birthday. And Thanks!
Sorry to hear about the fender bender. But hey, awesome bracelet!
Post a Comment