Thursday, June 24, 2010

Major Pharmaceuticals and My Insurance Company:


Thank you.

I'm sure I won't feel this way for long, but right now, you are both my friend. After suffering through some of the worst allergy pain that didn't involve a sinus infection, I went back out to urgent care to get a steroid shot. Several friends at work told me how wonderful steroid shots were and how they worked like magic. So, I found someone to cover my desk hours and high-tailed it back to the clinic. Granted, I'll have to pay for another office visit and all that, but I didn't care.

After talking to the PA again, it was suggested I take a series of oral steroids. There were reasons that made sense at the time but I don't remember what they were. I wanted to know if it would work as fast as the shot, because as I sat there in the exam room, I swear I could feel my face expanding by the second. Plus, it felt like someone had slapped me across both cheekbones. Of course, if I looked in the mirror I just saw a teeny-tiny bit of puffiness that most people didn't notice until I pointed it out to them. The PA assured me it would work just as fast. My next question: Will it make me gain weight? No, she assured me.

By the end of the day the painful pressure was gone. It may be too early to sing the praises of the mix of various drugs I am taking right now, but they alleviated the pain. I still get stuffed up and have what I would call average allergy issues, but I don't feel like I want to claw my face off. Plus, my voice is back. Yay!

And you know what makes it better? When I pick up a prescription and the guy says, "That will be 34 cents." You know how awesome it is to pay for drugs with two quarters and get change back? Pretty fucking awesome. My insurance company is far far far from perfect, but the prescription side of it is A-OK. I should say the inhaler I got yesterday did cost $40, but it will last me until it expires.

On a side note: One reason I am having some pain is that I still have three of my four wisdom teeth. I had one pulled a few years ago because it had a cavity and my dentist told me he wasn't crowning the tooth in front of it until it was pulled. And at that time I could only afford to have one pulled. I'm not sure I can afford to have them all pulled this summer, but I tell you this, Blogosphere, I pledge to have at least two of my wisdom teeth pulled this summer (I say two because the third really isn't a problem right now.) This means I will have to go without a new TV for a while, but this is probably a better investment.


No comments: