So, a few thoughts from the last couple of weeks:
The World Cup
I tried to watch the World Cup. Or at least I tried to watch the USA-England game. Or Match. Whatever it's called. Soccer fans tell me it was a really good game (or match) and how the US should be happy with their tie. I understand that the first round of World Cup games are not elimination games and that advancement to the elimination rounds are based on points earned by the games, not the actual game score. It's like a combination of the NFL season rankings and playoffs all rolled into one. But the USA-England game? It was boring. Seriously. It was one of the dullest sporting events I have ever seen.
Sure, maybe if I knew what was going on and if it wasn't like watching a sport on TV with the sound down while listening to the advancing mass of killer bees descend on your home, it might be fun. But about half-way through the game I started to vacuum. I was in the kitchen sweeping the floor when the US scored that goal that the English goalie was supposed to stop. If the US makes it to the elimination round, I may give it a shot. Until then, I found the highlights reproduced in Legos to be much more entertaining than the actual game. In fact, Legofussball.eu has a whole bunch of soccer games reproduced in Lego form.
I found the Hater's Guide to the World Cup incredibly entertaining, too. Beware, though, it is not for the PC-hearted. (Thanks to Sweet Pickles for bringing it to my attention.)
Shopping
I set out to buy some new jeans. There is a certain store where I like to buy jeans. I've been buying them for several years because they make different styles for different body types. And, honestly, they are the only jeans that I have found that fit well, yet I decided to stop buying them. The last few times I went to the store they only had the petite sizes in the regular jeans--not in the trouser jeans or pants. If I wanted pants they would ship the petite version to my home free of charge.
Listen, if I had wanted to wait five days to get a pair of pants I would have ordered them online while sitting on my couch watching Top Chef. But, no. I made the effort to go to the damn mall to buy them because I wanted them now. But, at least they kept their standard jeans in all three lengths... until now. When I found stores were only carrying the average length of all pants, and that the tall and petite lengths would have to be shipped, I had reached my breaking point. I handed the sales clerk the shirts I had draped over my arm, told her I had been a loyal shopper for twenty years, but that I was done. I walked out, found t-shirts on sale at Kohl's for $5 and bought a pair of Calvin Kleins at Macy's, instead.
Height
All of a sudden, my height seems to have become an issue. If you are my Facebook friend, you saw something I posted about being shocked by how short I am. It's true. I've had several different revelations on my lack of height--because I forget that I'm only 5'0". In college I realized I was shorter than Danny DeVito. And he's short. Once, while hanging out with some old friends, I saw a video clip of one of my dearest and oldest friends and I trying to choose a song on a juke box. Now, this friend is 6'1", so there is a big height difference between us, but I never realized how great that difference was until I saw this video. Because while we were watching it, I asked my friends if I was sitting down, because there was NO WAY I was really that short. (I wasn't sitting down.)
Last week I had to talk to some incoming MBA students. So despite it being the intercession, I wore a blazer. I was in the library restroom, looking at myself in the full-length mirror. I don't know if it was what I was wearing, seeing myself in proportion with the stuff around me, or something else. But all of a sudden, I was like, "Holy shit, I am short. Really short."
Later in the week I was at the grocery store picking up a few things, and I almost had to climb up on the base of the dairy refrigerator to get the soy yogurt I wanted. I was able to stand on my tippie-toes and paw at the yogurt until I got it closer to the edge of the shelf where I could reach it. I have to say I was a little annoyed that a kind stranger didn't offer to help.
Of course I always become extremely aware of my height when shopping for pants, because even the petite sizes are too long for me.
The Mall
I've decided I hate the mall. I don't say that lightly since I used to live in a town where we didn't even have a shitty mall. Actually, we had a faux-mall, but it wasn't even good enough to be shitty. A Penny's and a movie theatre do not make a mall. But the mall in town is your run-of the-mill mall. I has a Target, a Kohl's, a Macy's, and all the kiosks and general mall stores. But whenever I go there I get really hot and dizzy. I decided the mall makes me sick. I'm okay in Target, Kohl's, and Macy's. It's the interior of the mall that does it. Weird.
That's all, for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment