Saturday, July 3, 2010

DC in Pictures


Washington Monument

This is the closest I got to the touristy sites. I took this from the cab on the way to the airport. I will admit, though, the trip to the airport took my breath away. We passed all kinds of important buildings. It was one of those trip that I am sure people who live there take for granted. But for a former political junky, it was pretty amazing. The flags are at half-mast due to the death of Robert Byrd.

Australian Embassy

We were in the Embassy Row area. The Peruvian Embassy was across the street from our hotel. I had to pass the Australian Embassy when I walked to the shuttle.


The Hotel Rouge

This photos is for Frenchie. This is the hotel we stayed at in 2007--the Hotel Rouge. It was pretty much what it sounds like. I kept referring to it as a hipster bordello. They had these terrible statues and Rouge awning in front of a hotel that look as architecturally exciting as a Best Western. I regret not taking pictures inside the hotel when we stayed there.

Summer Thunderstorm

Watching a storm from our hotel room. I was about to go shopping on DuPont Circle when this storm rolled in. I opened up the windows and watched. We don't get summer thunderstorms in the Pacific Northwest.


Washington Hilton

Washington Hilton

Washington Hilton

The three photos above are of the T Street entrance to the Washington Hilton. This is where John Hinkley attempted to assassinate Ronald Reagan.

My brother and I were both home sick when Hinkley shot Reagan, James Brady, and Timothy McCarthy. I heard about it on the radio while I was lying in bed. I walked out to the living room and told my brother that I thought someone had shot the president. He immediately turned on the TV. All I remember after that is sitting on the couch while my brother sat on the floor in front of the TV. We watched in absolute silence.

On a completely different note, and I mean completely, this is where the current season of Top Chef was shot.


A house I liked. Don't know where we were other than a circle between Little Ethiopia and our hotel off DuPont Circle.


The Church of Scientology.

New shoes! Mediterranean Sneaker made by Camper. Love them!

No comments: