I'm not going to dissect this season of give an overview of every episode, but these are some favorite things:
Peggy and Don's all-nighter. This was one of the best television shows I have ever seen. I watched it three times and loved each one more and more. Elizabeth Moss was amazing as Peggy and the subtlety between Peggy and Don was amazing.
Mrs. Blankenship. Everything about her. Even in death she was awesome.
Women in the workplace: There are so many things to say about how the show has depicted women in the workplace, and it has been dead-on. Being a woman in a man's world. The relationship and rivalry between women in both an office and in life. I always wondered how Mad Men would depict the women's movement, and I have liked how they have done it.
A lot has been written about this season. A few things I liked:
- This excellent article in The Chronicle of Higher Education sums up the final episode so well.
- This post over at NPR's Monkey See takes on the season finale.
- And of course, Slate.com's TV Club discusses every episode of each season.
I had some issues with the season finale, mainly that it was predictable. Not that Don's action were predictable ('cause they were), but the show was predictable. One thing I love about this show is that so much of the foreshadowing is subtle. Or, probably more accurate, each episode is so good that I am in that very moment instead of wondering what that moment will mean in five minutes or next week. But as soon as Anna's engagement ring came out, it was too obvious.
As for Don.... Listen, Don is still hot. He got less hot this season with some of his skeeviness, but he was trying to fix himself. But getting engaged to his pretty, young secretary? Excuse me while I role my eyes.
1 comment:
I really liked this season - my favorite episode was definitely Don & Peggy's all-nighter, but there were a lot of subtle little moments of growth for most of the characters throughout the season that I really liked, too. In the finale, I especially liked the moment between Peggy & Joan after Don announced his engagement.
I'm intrigued by the stuff you've linked to here - I'll have to catch-up next time the boss is out of the office for the day. Did you follow the "Mad Men" reviews/discussions on the AV Club? Those were pretty interesting, too.
One plot thread that I loved and I hope pops up again someday: Roger's memoirs. Oh my gosh, those snippets were hilarious. (And if this Amazon listing is for real, they'll apparently be available in an actual book come mid-November: http://www.amazon.com/Sterlings-Gold-Wit-Wisdom-Man/dp/0802119891/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1287786530&sr=8-2 )
Post a Comment