Sunday, February 6, 2011

Packers Win! Packers Win!

Woooooooooooooo!!!!!!



(Thanks, Mary, for bringing this to my attention.)

I wish I had some story about how I freaked out, screamed, yelled, etc. when the Steelers botched the 4th down and the Packers knew they were headed to a win. But I don't. I was so stunned, so shocked, so... so, well, so happy. I saw Donald Driver and knew he deserved this for playing on this team for thirteen years, for living in a UHaul truck as a kid, for making it. And Rodgers, getting the damn Favre Monkey off his talented back. And Woodson--the other veteran on the team. He was the team captain. When he broke his collar bone at the end of the first half, he cried in the locker room. And the young players--some of them third or fourth string players. They all deserved this. I saw Driver with tears in his eyes. And I cried. I was shaking. I just sat there staring at the TV, shaking... in shock.

Packers win!

For Christmas my mom gave me a copy of David Maraniss's biography Vince Lombardi, When Pride Still Mattered: The Life of Vince Lombardi. It is pretty great. And Lombardi, while far from perfect, was pretty awesome. Yes, he believed in winning, but he also believed in teamwork and community. He loved football and everything it was and represented. He refused to tolerate racism and despite being a devout Catholic, refused to tow the Church's line on homosexuality. And you know what? I am fairly certain Coach Lombardi would love this Green Bay Packers team. With more major injuries than I care to count, not to mention losing three major players during the Super Bowl game (Woodson, Driver, and Shields--Shields returned, but I don't think he was at 100%), they pulled it together, and as the sixth seed in the NFC, they won the Super Bowl. If that doesn't represent Lombardi's view of teamwork, I don't know what does.

The Super Bowl trophy is named the Lombardi trophy. And now it is coming back to where it belongs: Lambeau Field, 1265 Lombardi Avenue, Green Bay, Wisconsin.

It's poetic.

The Packers won the motherfucking Super Bowl.

The text I sent at 7:14 PM (PST): HOLYFUCKINGSHIT

A team winning a game shouldn't make me this happy, but it does.

GO PACK GO!




PS: SUCK IT, FAVRE.

PPS: What Ted Thompson really said when he accepted the Lombardi Trophy: "I WAS RIGHT."

PPPS: Greg Jennings is my new Packers boyfriend. Sorry Tramon Willams. We'll always have the Falcons game.

PPPPS: Belichick is coach of the year and Tom Brad of the season. I call bullshit on both of those--especially Belichick.

No comments: