So, my BFF. I was thinking about her today. I was thinking about her for a specific reason, but my train of thought eventually lead me to a conversation she and I had probably fifteen years ago while we were tearing down the interstate in Des Moines. I was spending a long weekend with her, hanging out and doing whatever. The one thing I remember was a conversation about the song Feliz Navidad by José Feliciano. She hates it. Seriously hates it. This, of course, made me break out into song in my incredibly tone-deaf voice: "I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas, from the bottom of my heart!" I sang as much of the song that I knew (mainly the chorus) as loudly as I could. And she visibly cringed.
I never forgot this, of course. And I lived to harass the hell out of her. I'd make random calls to her and as soon as she said, "Hello?" I'd break into the chorus of this song and then hang up. When we both had regular access to email, I would send her an email with just one line from the song, because I knew that is all it would take for her to get it stuck in her head.
Then I began to work at a company where they piped in Musak. Starting the day after Christmas they'd play Christmas music with Feliz Navidad being one of the songs in heavy rotation. And then I found out when you put people on the phone on hold they heard the Musak. So... About once every Christmas season I'd call BFF at work (she had a toll-free number) when Feliz Navidad would come over the Musak, and this would happen:
BFF, answering phone: This is BFF.
YL: Hey. Hold on *hit hold key*
This is when I would look at my coworkers in my cube farm and we'd all start singing Feliz Navidad. We'd do this for at least one full chorus.
*hit hold key*
BFF: YOU ARE A BITCH
YL: I love you, too! Merry Christmas
BFF: Whatever. BITCH.
YL: *Laugh evilly as BFF slams down the phone*
I don't know if BFF reads this blog regularly, but I'm going to send her this post. And you know what? BFF, I double dog-dare you... no, I triple-dog dare you to watch this video.
*edit: BFF's response to this post? "You can suck it." Seems about right.
No comments:
Post a Comment