Monday, June 20, 2011

A Note to the Producers of The Killing

1) Please don't be predictable. Please.
I've mentioned this show several times, and I will start this by saying that I still love it and I still think it is worth watching. But... The season finale? I found it frustrating as hell. And while I gasped like I was supposed to gasp at the end of last week's episode, a few minutes later, after thinking about it, I got irritated. The plot direction seemed so predictable. You have two loosely tied together events, and while they cross a few times throughout the season, they are still disconnected. So pulling them together at the end of the season is, well, predictable.

2) The foreshadowing is too heavy handed and obvious. Or, find ways to distract me from the foreshadowing.
Based on that second-to-last episode of the season, together with the end of last night's season finale, I have a definite opinion of who did it. Why and how? After a season of this show I have learned to pick up on the lingering shots, because they mean something.

The Killing isn't the only show to do this. Mad Men does this, but Mad Men is awesome. And The Killing is great, but it isn't holding my attention like it was in the beginning and that means I begin to notice the lingering shots and whatnot more. I don't like noticing those things. I like being so caught up in that very moment that I am not trying to figure out what the coffee cup on the table may or may not mean.

So... I'm frustrated. Really frustrated. I suppose if I wouldn't be so frustrated if I kept reading The Onion's AV Club's summaries, because they point out all the things wrong with it.

3) For the love of god, STOP IT with the rain that you can hear.
I have to thank Frenchie for pointing out this article on EW.com about the how the Pacific Northwest is portrayed, because I've found the rain in the show really distracting. (And I think she's tired of me mentioning it.) Yes, it's set in November in Seattle, but we rarely get rain showers--we get mist. And while real rain is most likely to happen between November and January, but it is often accompanied by some hardcore wind. And fog. Lots and lots of fog. Another thing, and this is a regional thing, but people don't carry umbrellas. I didn't get it at first. Why not carry an umbrella when it rains? But it's because we get mist and an umbrella doesn't do jack shit against mist. A hat or a one of those fugly REI jackets is better.

And at one point, I swear I heard thunder on the show. We get thunder once or twice a year. And when we do, people lose their shit because it rarely happens.

Stop showing people running from the rain. In three years, I don't think I have ever seen anyone run to get out of the rain.

3) Maybe you should actually visit Seattle. Or at least get a damn map.
The Killing wasn't filmed in Seattle. There are lots of sweeping shots of Seattle and whatnot, but it was shot in the Vancouver, BC area. I'm okay with that. But my advise to the producers is to spend a little more time in Seattle before they film the next season. In one episode, there was a foot chase through "The Market." The chase happened when they tracked someone down to 5th and Union. Linden referred to that as the location of The Market. Uh... I'm going to assume The Market is the Public Market AKA Pike's Place Market located at 1st and Pike. The Market is one of those iconic places in Seattle. Other than the Space Needle, I don't think anything is identified more with Seattle than the Public Market Sign. This is 5th and Union. Yeah, not even close.

And the foot chase through the market? It was light, bright, and there was room to turn around. That's not the Public Market. The Public Market in Seattle is dark, narrow, and is usually so packed you can barely move (yet I still love it). I've never been to the Public Market on Granville Island in Vancouver, but I have been told it was really nice... so my guess is that is where it is. But, seriously, for the love of god, if the characters are going to the Market--at least get the address right.

Oh, and the scenes in shot in SeaTac? Not SeaTac. SeaTac isn't anywhere near that nice.

But, people in Vancouver do carry umbrellas. Maybe the producers are just going with the local culture.

No comments: