Speaking of snarky...
One thing that made me happy this week: A librarian fight on a listserv.
In a nutshell: It started with one librarian getting all self-righteous by saying she wasn't willing to compromise her privacy to use the popular social network of the hour just to prove she was cool. Then another librarian got all na-na boo-boo and called everyone a nervous-nellie (how clever of him), and then acted like he was better than others because he wasn't willing to be scared away by privacy concerns. Obviously, his willingness to use various forms of social networks made him cutting edge. This was met with some level-headedness with people saying they liked various social networks, but there was something to be said about privacy and other issues when using popular social networks in class. And this was no reason to call everyone a nervous nellie. The self-implied cool dude brushed them all off by making some dumb comment without addressing any of their points by being all "I don't need this" about everyone's comment. It was awesome. I was gleeful when describing it to coworkers because it was full of so much ridiculousness and librarian bravado. And after six hours of meetings and a mini-breakdown over what I needed to get down last week, I needed that.
This is what I love about listservs: You get to watch other people's drama without getting caught up in it.
No comments:
Post a Comment