Saturday, February 11, 2012

Fake Meat

I eat fake meat. Some vegans and vegetarians don't like fake meat. Many were never big meat eaters to begin with. When I became a vegetarian I hated fake meat because of, well, everything: the taste, the smell, and the texture. But now that it's been more than a decade since I've eaten meat, it's hard for me to compare it to the real thing. Not to mention that fake meat has gotten much better. But, there are still brands that are better than others and not all brands are vegan.

I wasn't a big fan of meat when I was a kid, but there are still things I miss. But what I miss are the feelings the food evokes. Meatloaf at Grandma's on Sunday. Grilled hamburgers on the 4th of July. Fried shrimp with my dad when he'd take my brother and I out for a "fancy" dinner. And bratwurst. Well, honestly, I just like bratwurst. But when I remember the taste of these things, I remember the taste of the stuff that went with them, not the meat itself. Meatloaf? The ketchup/mustard stuff Grandma put on top. Hamburgers? The bun. The lettuce, pickles, onions, and tomatoes. Fried shrimp? The breading and the cocktail sauce. And brats? Well, I liked the brats.

Because fake meat has gotten so much better, there are things that allow me to have these things again. Field Roast has a decent meatloaf. It doesn't taste meaty--or at least what I can remember as meaty, but it has that feeling. And Tofurkey makes an amazingly great beer brat. For years I praised the Boca Brat, but last I heard Boca discontinued them... yet they are still serving them at Lambeau Field. But, Boca's aren't vegan--they use egg whites. And, really, Tofurkey's are sooooo much better.

Sophie's Kitchen makes vegan seafood. I've never had their breaded fish (although I have some in my freezer right now), but the vegan breaded shrimp is amazing. The first time I had it, I wasn't too crazy about it. It had a rubbery texture and it just wasn't right. But I gave it another try. I cooked it a bit longer so the coating got a bit crunchier. Holy crap, served with garlic mashed potatoes and some kale and it was comfort on a plate.

Over the weekend I stumbled on Gardein's Ultimate Beefless Burger. I have to admit, I got a little excited. I have tried numerous Gardein products and loved all of them. I haven't had a fake burger in a long time. I used to keep Morningstar burgers in the freezer for quick meals and whatnot, but I didn't like the vegan ones. I wasn't even that crazy about the non-vegan ones. But they did the job. So, yes, while I was excited about the Gardein burger, I was trying not to get my hopes up. I made of these tonight paired with a grilled bun, onion, lettuce and tomato... and holy shit. One bite and I was sitting on the back step of my dad's house eating a hamburger off a paper plate. Yes, it was just that good.




No comments: