I normally take a week off in September. This is when I head back to the Midwest for beer and football, but I'm not going this year. Why? The Packers are playing in Seattle so my football-going friend from Wisconsin is coming out here and we, along with another friend, are going to the Monday Night Football game in Seattle next month. Look for me on TV.
But, I still wanted a week off. It's been a busy summer and it will be an even busier fall. I wanted a week off for doing my favorite thing: Whatever I want.
What did I do? Not much of anything.
- I slept in. I stayed up late.
- I knit.
- I did do some catch-up work. I really didn't want to, but I needed to get some things done because, well, it needed to get done. But I did it in a coffee shop at my own speed.
- I saw The Campaign. It was okay. I expected more.
- I saw Moonrise Kingdom. It was spectacular. It was so weirdly sweet and endearing and wonderful that I just wanted to give it a big hug. I loved it.
- I read Andy Cohen's book Most Talkative: Stories from the Front Lines of Pop Culture. I cried when he talked about coming out. It reminded me of when one of my best friends came out to me while we were in college.
While killing time before seeing The Campaign, a friend and I spent some time in a Tuesday Morning. I haven't been to one since I left Ye Olde College Town, where, until a Belk moved in, it was the only decent place in town to shop that wasn't WalMart. And at Tuesday Morning I bought two mugs that just made my entire week:
![]() |
| "Vintage" Kermit and Fozzy mugs. "Vintage" because they're marked with the Disney logo on the bottom. |
I bought these with the intention of sending one to BFF, since we both love The Muppets. I texted her the picture, and I got the equivalent of a squeal via text (including an "OMFG"). I realized they were pretty much a set. This morning I went back to Tuesday Morning and bought two more for BFF.
I have to admit, one of my favorite things this week was simply cuddling with the cat. I suppose that makes me, well, a librarian, but he's become such a wonderfully cuddly cat with a surprising amount of energy. I did take the cat to the vet for his semi-annual check up (I guess they go in every six months once they hit a certain age) and he he needed some vaccine boosters. He's fine. Fat and surprisingly healthy. He has a bump on his head, but the vet said just to watch it. However, she said most bumps on cats are benign. Then he bit the vet when she gave him a shot.
So, really, other than working for a day and a half, I spent my week doing nothing. Thing is, I could really use another week of doing nothing. I really kind of like it.

1 comment:
Based on your description of "Ye Olde College Town," I'm pretty sure it's the one I live in now!
Post a Comment