I'm in shock. One of the biggest influences in my life passed away this afternoon. Massive heart attack.
It wasn't unexpected. He was in the hospital a couple of year ago with heart problems and the outlook was grim. But he made it. This time he didn't.
My mind is full of memories related to him. Simple things like doing my laundry. Or hanging out in his backyard. Or sitting on his front steps watching the world go by. Celebrating what was supposed to be the End of the World. Watching Bruce try to figure out his screwy cordless phone (it kept being left off the hook and would automatically call 911). Staying up all night watching movies. And then all the things that I did that I would never, ever, ever post on a blog. As a friend said, we weren't in a frat or sorority, but that house was the closest thing we had.
I can't make it back for the funeral, but I know there are plans for a memorial later in the spring. As I told BFF, when we're all together to celebrate Bruce's life, it will put The Big Chill to shame.
Rest in Peace, Bruce. You changed my life. You changed many. You gave us the space to explore and experiment and to love and to fight and to live.
You were loved more than you will ever know.
2 comments:
Sad to hear this.
I lost two people last year who were "my Bruces." Even if it's been years since you've seen someone, when it's someone who's had such an impact in your life or such a constant, it really knocks you off your center for a while. I'll be thinking about you. :-)
Post a Comment