I'm a librarian. A Yankee Librarian. Or so I've been told. Starting a blog is something I have been thinking about, but I was apprehensive. I didn't know if I would have anything to say. And what would I call it? Well, as a friend of mine told me, there are two important things to know about me: I am a librarian, and I am a Yankee.... So, there's the title.
I am from the midwest, born and raised. I come from good German stock. I have a Fargo-ish accent. For the last two and a half years I have lived in the south. To say it was a culture shock would be an understatement. The first time someone said "ma'am" to me I got offended (I was positive they were mocking me). The first time someone said, "Oh, bless your heart" I almost burst out laughing. For the first time in my life, when I opened my mouth it was obvious I was not from around here. Two and a half years later I am adjusting. I still hate the heat. And it has become a game to see how often I can make students call me ma'am. I still have a Fargo-ish accent but it isn't as strong. I swear it isn't. And about two months ago I used the word "fixin'," as in, "It's fixin' to rain."
Why am I in the south? A job. I graduated from library school in 2003 and trying to find a job was a bitch, to say the least. Then I got the wild hair that going to a different part of the country would be fun. Going to an area where I knew no one and was completely unfamiliar with the weather, culture, etc., would be fun. It's been interesting to say the least.
I am a pop-culture junkie. I watch too much VH1 and Bravo. I watch American Idol which kills any indie cred I may have had. But, eh, anyone who can't watch that show and find it entertaining (whether it be because you actually like the music or because you want to make fun of it) is dead inside.
This blog will combine personal, professional, some observation, etc. Eventually I will get around to adding the links and whatnot on the side. Promise.
1 comment:
Awesome. I'm so glad you're starting this, and can't wait to read more. Blog on, Yankee Librarian!
Post a Comment