Sunday, September 17, 2006

They are trying to break my heart

Damn Packers.

Because the Packers were playing the New Orleans Saints, I was able to see the game. They had the flunky announcers along with Drew Smith (who does sports for the Green Bay/Appleton Fox network). Flunkies in that one of them referred to Donald Driver as Tony Driver. And then said, "Packers touchdown!" when it was actually the Saints. Do'h.

Anyway, first three times the Saints had the ball they turned it over and the Packers turned those into 13 points: touchdown and two fieldgoals. Excellent. And then it all went to hell. The Pack lost their momentum, and the Saints came marching back. The Packers tried to get their momentum back, but it never quite happened.

But it was so nice to be able to see my team on tv. I had forgotten how much I missed them. I will watch other football, but nothing compares to watching your team do good (for at least the first quarter) and kick some ass. I was cheering and yelling and carrying on.

I love football. I really do. It takes concentration and intelligence and planning, not to mention strength. To be a quarterback and to be able to throw a ball the length of the field, to actually have it leave your hand before the reciever gets there, but to be able to estimate the time it will take the receiver to get there, to be able to throw a ball into double coverage -- it's astounding. And to have the strength to break a tackle--whether it is just one person or five--the strength it takes to break through that is amazing. But ultimately, it is a team sport. It isn't about one person, it is about a team working together, following a plan and a leader to accomplish a final goal. I love it.

So the Packers lost, and they broke my heart. But Iowa won.

No comments: