Scene: Reference desk, phone rings, outside call.
Me: Reference desk
Patron: Is this the reference desk?
M: [pause] Yes, this is the reference desk.
P: Who is this?
M: This is [insert my name].
P: That sounds like you should be a queen? Are you a queen?
M: No.
P: Are you wearing a crown?
Me: No.
P: A tiara?
M: [sigh] No.
P: You have to be wearing some sort of crown...
M: [exasperated] May I help you with something?
P: Aw, come on...
Me: Do you have a question?
P: You're no fun. Don't you want to play?
M: I have a job to do. Do you have a question?
[Question and other general nonsense, possible (bad) flirting, and general annoyance; I continue to look for what patron needs]
P: Are you from here?
M: No.
P: Where are you from?
M: I moved here from Wisconsin.
P: Do you like it here?
M: It's hot.
P: Like Paris Hilton hot or meteorlogically hot?
M: [sigh] Meteorlogically hot.
[This "game" continued before I told him we did not have exactly what he was looking for, and that we were not the place for him to find that info. I gave him some suggestions and sent him on his way.]
I swear if I would've let it continue he would've asked me what I was wearing.
2 comments:
That is AWE. SOME. Not only do I like the unconventional idea of using the library's reference desk's phone as a 1-900 number, but that somebody used 'Paris Hilton' and 'meteorologically" in the same sentence.
Oh, there was more.
P: Maybe I should contact Eudora Welty.
M: She's dead.
P: Really? When did she die?
M: I don't know.
P: I missed her funeral.
This is what lead into the "Are you from here" comments. Believe me, this person's failed attempt at being ironic, cute, and sarcastic was painful to listen to. But the Paris Hilton comment was pretty cool.
Post a Comment