I started reading The Replacements: It's All over but the Shouting. While reading it I listened to The 'Mats, and I have been remembering why they are one of the most under appreciated bands of my lifetime. And Westerberg is of the best songwriters, ever. And then I started thinking about their performance on SNL. I didn't see it live, but that is what YouTube is for.
This performance got them banned from SNL. Is it shocking? Not now. But it is classic Replacements. You can vaguely hear Westerberg say fuck (or motherfucker?) as he turns to the side (min. 1:31). And Westerburg forgets the lyrics. And Bob is wearing culottes (at least he was wearing clothes). And Tommy is maybe 20 years old by this time. And they were loaded, of course. But what's so great is that is was a 'Mats performance--forgotten lyrics, swearing, drunkeness, dropped instruments. Too bad something like this could never happen in SNL now...
No comments:
Post a Comment