I am watching Canadian Idol.
It has the same logo and same intro song. The host is smarmier than Seacrest. The judges? No clue. But there is a chick, a guy who appears to be very uptight, and, of course, a beefy black guy who wears crazy shirts. Oh, and there is some guy who seems to be the rocker judge--maybe he is supposed to be the Canadian Simon. He is the only one that has a something of a personality, even if it does appear manufactured. He was the guy who said the difference between Idol performances and bar performances are that bar performances had alcohol. I don't know if he is a permanent judge or guest judge. And they talk in backwards order: Canadian Uptight Judge, Canadian Paula without "drug," and Canadian Randy, and then the Canadian Rocker/Simon Judge. (update/edit: I was wrong, the talk in random order, but the sit in backward order.) They give comments and all, but even their worst comments aren't very bad--there is no cattiness. There is no "dawg" or "pitchy." The audience doesn't boo. (udpate/edit:yes, they do boo but the judges don't have much negative to say.) The judges have Subway (subs) cups in front of them on the table. And if you are a Tellus customer, you can text your votes in. And they're talking about it being Canada Day and what they would normally be doing to celebrate Canada Day.
Amazing how Idol isn't nearly as interesting without Drunk Paula. And A'ight Randy. And, well, Simon.
It's like Bizarro Idol. With Canadian commercials.
Canadian Idol is on CTV. And they show an odd array of American TV, including The Daily Show, the Colbert Report, The View, various US soaps, Mad Men, and The Hills.
Update/edit: I kept watching CTV after Idol. There was a show on after idol about an apartment house (and the people who live there) in some city in Canada. I assumed it was Vancouver, but since this was the first time I had watched it, I'm not sure. But I do know it was original programming. The best part? Dave Foley, who we all know and love from Kids in the Hall and NewsRadio, plays the part of the new landlord: an American from Texas. Or as Sweet Pickles would simply say, "A Texan, because no other explanation is necessary." So very awesome.
2 comments:
And what about the performers, lol...
The performers? Well, there was one who was terrible. Another one was had a bad emo haircut and was a step above terrible. Another who was kind of like David Archeleta if he'd had a personality. And wasn't so into saving the world by butchering John Lennon's Imagine. And letting his dad spoon feed him what to say. Another who did nothing but walk in a circle. He was Jason Castro if Jason Castro had been a snowboarder. (Which meant I loved him and his awkwardness even though he was terrible.) The rest of them became background noise.
It wasn't nearly as entertaining as American Idol. I missed the snarkiness.
Post a Comment