Friday, October 24, 2008

Lute

I grew up in Iowa. Growing up in Iowa meant one thing, you were either an Iowa Hawkeyes fan or an Iowa State Cyclones fan. We were Hawkeye fans. Until my brother went to Iowa State. And my stepbrother became an Iowa State cheerleader. Well, I should say everyone but me was an Iowa State fan.

I'm not a hardcore Hawkeyes fan. I sometimes follow scores. During various college sports playoffs I will cheer for them. But growing up? Hawkeyes all the way.

The Hawks had an amazing basketball team in the '80s, coached by Lute Olsen, who next to Hayden Fry may be one of the more revered sports figures in the state. In seventh grade social science class, when asked to name the biggest news story of the year, the vote was unanimous, the departure of Lute Olsen. He left Iowa City for Arizona. I also remember the first time Lute came back to Iowa City to play the Hawkeyes. It was so quiet in Carver Hawkeye that you really could have heard a pin drop. People were not happy.

Lute was successful in Arizona, and Iowa went on to have many other good basketball coaches, like Dr. Tom Davis. Despite that, Lute Olsen will always be the first person I think of when it comes to Iowa basketball.

What's my point? Lute retired today. After a successful career at two different school, he's done. Good luck, Lute. College basketball will miss you.

No comments: