Tuesday, October 21, 2008

World Go Vegan Day

I've been playing with going vegan. And by "going vegan" I mean a vegan diet, not lifestyle. The lifestyle may follow, but not yet. I still say "toying" because I am not sure I want to commit to it. But, next week is Word Go Vegan week, and I'm going to give it a shot. I'm leaning towards the vegan diet for several reasons: health, sustainability, etc. I eased into being a vegetarian, so I figure I will see how it goes.

I used to think that I didn't eat much dairy--at least not recently. I don't eat nearly as much cheese as I used to and the only time I use milk is on my cereal. But I eat a lot of yogurt. It's a breakfast staple for me. I know there is soy yogurt, but....

It took me awhile to come around to eating yogurt. I didn't like the texture. I started with Yoplait's custard style yogurt. It didn't wiggle, and it wasn't slimy. Then I was able to move on to more traditional yogurt. But even now, I can't eat yogurt with chunks of stuff in it. I used to, but something happened several years ago. I don't know what, but all of a sudden I decided it was gross.

And then in an effort to eat more organic, etc., I tried hippie yogurt. I don't remember what it was, but I do know it was "Australian-style." It was gross. Texture, taste? Yuck. So, soy yogurt... I fear it will be just as gross.

Anyone have any suggestions about non-dairy yogurt?

No comments: