Sunday, November 23, 2008

You're Hardcore

Tooth Update (because I know all four of you who read this blog want to know).
I am still in limbo with the root canal. "In limbo" in that I am going in for the temporary crown in a little over a week. I'm not convinced the infection is all gone. I've been keeping an eye on it and will call the dentist if I need to. But I've been having sinus issues the last couple of days and it makes me second guess myself--is it my teeth or is in sinuses. I thought I knew the difference but now I don't know. But right now, due to my general stuffiness and sniffling I am going with sinuses.

Friday I found out my insurance won't pay for my trip to the ER. They say that the diagnosis was tooth related which they don't cover. I told them I went to the ER because I didn't think it was my teeth and because another doctor told me to go to the ER if it got worse. I wanted to know why they were asking me to self-diagnose. The woman on the phone said they weren't. I say they are. I can challenge it, and I will. But it's just damn annoying. And expensive.

Other Stuff
I worked my first Saturday yesterday. I felt like I couldn't answer half the questions I was asked. I find our catalog and web site confusing and not very useful. And then a student fell on the steps and hit her head and had a seizure. We don't know what came first--the seizure or the fall. Thing is, I missed it. I heard the thud (which we think was her dropping books she was holding), but I was helping someone and didn't notice. I didn't notice the campus police coming in (I figured out something had happened when I heard his police radio in the stairwell). Luckily, our student workers and the circ deks were on top of it all. EMT's came and took care of her. And then I missed them taking her out on the gurney. I don't know how or why I ended up being so unobservant. Our student worker said I was helping people when most of it was going down. I must've really been into whatever I was doing.

I'm ready for Thanksgiving. I'm only working two days next week and am looking forward to a five-day weekend. I was thinking about going somewhere, but since there is a good chance I will have to pay the full price of my trip to the ER, I hesitate to spend money I don't need to spend. But, I'm ready for the holidays. I am already looking forward to the trip to Iowa for Christmas. I usually see my family once a year and this is it. It'll be good to hang out with them.

I called by brother to get the rundown on Christmas presents for the kids. I've been asking him for weeks, and he has been ignoring me. My sister-in-law gave me a general overview, but when she tells me to buy American Girl clothes ... well, there are a lot of American Girl clothes. Which dolls do they have? What clothes do they have? What are other people getting them? It's all so much pressure. So, I not only got the info I needed, I got catalog numbers.

D had emailed me earlier asking me what magazine I had wanted (Vogue Knitting), he emailed me to ask for the title again. See, my brother can't remember anything. Once he figured out my sister-in-law would keep track of everything and tell him when he needed to be somewhere or do something (his Palm does the same thing for his work life), he stopped paying attention to any detail he didn't think was worthwhile--which means everything but the kids, beer, his grill, and maybe work. I told him I would give him the name of the magazine I wanted if he told me what to buy the kids.

His response: "Wow, keeping your own Christmas present hostage. You're hardcore."

No comments: