Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Summary of My Week, so far

Monday
Go to Walk-in Clinic to find out why my face was swollen. Spend a crap load of money on super-expensive antibiotics the Quack at the Walk-in Clinic prescribed. Sleep. Call Dr. Quack to ask what to do since my face had gotten bigger. He suggested going to ER if it got worse. I decided to sleep on it thanks to the vicodin he also prescribed.

Tuesday
Get more and more frustrated because my face seems to be getting worse. Call back to Walk-in Clinic. Dr. Quack isn't there but I could come back out, wait for another 60 minutes to have some other doctor give me a different prescription. Decide to go to ER.

Be thankful that most of Washington state votes by mail and that I sent my vote in a couple of weeks ago.

Go to ER. Talk to doctor. Tell him what I think it wrong: sinuses, not tooth. He thinks it is a tooth. I hope it isn't. Have dye shot into me and a CAT Scan so they can figure out why my face kept getting bigger and bigger. The verdict: A damn tooth. Doctor calls dentist to tell them I need to see them ASAP. Doctor tells me he knows it wasn't what I wanted to hear, but at least I know. And that it's better than having to have them cut my face open. Ok... Silver lining.

Come home, take more vicodin, eat soup, take more antibiotics. Watch election returns. Call Mom to ask her if the infection in my mouth could somehow work its way to my brain in the middle of the night and kill me. She said no. While talking to her, MSNBC calls the election for Obama. I tear up. And then I break down into big, sobbing tears.

Wednesday
Woke up feeling like it was a new beginning. Try to wrap my brain around what happened and what it means to this country to elect this man at this time. Lie in bed listening to Morning Edition on NPR talk about the celebrations that spontaneously erupted after Obama won the presidency.

Go to dentist. Get another prescription. Have part of the infection my mouth drained. Make appointment for a root canal and crown. Come home happy to know why I was sick. Begin to think it doesn't hurt that much anymore... until the Novocain begins to wear off and I realize that, yes, it does still hurt.

Continue to be so very proud of what we did yesterday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sucks that you're in so much pain while all this is going on, but man, what a great story for the grandkids. "Do I remember when Obama was elected? Oh yeah, I was all doped up on painkillers with a mouthful of pus..." (Sorry, too much? I kinda thought so.)

I haven't sobbed yet, but I keep getting just teary enough to smudge my mascara. I've been sporting the ever-so-pretty raccoon look all day.

Yankee Librarian said...

I figured I will never forget this election for two reasons: the outcome and the fact that my face swelled up like a balloon. I also figured the painkillers would be like alcohol: either make me happy and relaxed or help me calm down if Obama lost.

I've been watching and reading everything I can about the election, the reaction, Obama, etc. I still have the I-can't-believe-this-happened feelings.